Working with families and children, newly arrived from Eastern Europe
Over the past decade, Bradford and the West Yorkshire region has seen a growing number of children from Eastern Europe attending our schools. A significant proportion have been from Roma heritage. Many schools find that they lack understanding of the unique perspectives of Roma families and schools may often struggle in understanding Roma culture and the history of previous experiences of education systems which may lead them to be reluctant to engage with your school.
- How to engage Roma families effectively into education and the wider life of the school
- How to secure good levels of school attendance, and good punctuality
- How to support positive attitudes to learning and good behaviour.
- How to provide effective learning opportunities for Roma children with English as an additional language
- How to communicate effectively with parents with English as an additional language, who sometimes have poor language and literacy in their home language.
- Having good strategies in place to support school readiness and transition
- Provide bespoke support for families experiencing especially challenging social circumstances, including financial, health and legal difficulties.
- Engaging parental support for school partnership arrangements for children with SEND
Our Expertise Juraj Tancos is St Edmund’s Nursery School’s dedicated EU Migrant Worker and Support Officer. From Roma heritage, Juraj has worked for the past seven years with Bradford’s East European and Roma communities, and has played a key team role in developing St Edmund’s excellent practice. Ofsted (2019) said: “High levels of community engagement, rightly, place St Edmund’s at the heart of the local community. Parent partnerships are a key strength of the school.” Educated in the UK to degree level, Juraj is a highly-skilled communicator. He is also a trusted member of the Roma community who’ll help your school or setting to make great progress in parental engagement. Designated as a Centre of Good Practice For New Arrivals by Bradford Local Authority, St Edmund’s has provided improvement support for schools and settings across the region for the past five years. Juraj has rich experience of providing training, advice for quality improvement, and opportunities to observe and model effective Roma parental engagement strategies.
Making a booking Juraj may be commissioned at a day rate of £250. To make a booking, please contact Abi Traynor firstname.lastname@example.org 01274 494898 To discuss your needs, please contact Juraj Tancos directly Juraj.Tancos@stedmundsbradford.org.uk
Tím: (the team):
Juraj Tancos - Pracovník pre pomoc rodinám (Family Support Worker)
Juraj pracuje s rodinami, ktoré potrebujú dodatočnú pomoc, aby mohli pre svoje deti zabezpečiť stabilný, bezpečný a šťastný domov. Keď je rodina odporučená na takúto pomoc, Juraj sa s nimi stretne, aby sa s nimi porozprával o tom, čo potrebujú a aby spolu dohodli plán ďaľšieho postupu.
Juraj works with families who need additional support in order to maintain a stable, secure and happy home for their children Once a family has been referred for family support, Juraj will meet them to talk about what their needs are, and to draw up an action plan together.
St Edmund's Children's Centre is part of the Bradford West Family Hub, run by Bradford Council. To find out what activities are available at the children's Centre, or at Children's Centres across West Bradford including Allerton, Crossley Hall, Farnham Road, Lidget Green and Princeville, visit the website: